The Best Super Bowl Commercials. We parody one that is not.

It was the ultimate Superbowl Sunday. The game was good (except for that awful missed call in the end zone) and we can all feel good that the losing Harbaugh brother can at least be happy for the other, winning Harbaugh brother. It was also nice to see some decent commercials. Companies paid upwards of $4 million bucks for their thirty-second ad, so you’d hope that they’d air something to remember. Right now, in kind of a loose top six, we have fond memories of:

Samsung’s Next Big Thingsuperbowl ad samsung

Budweiser’s Horse Love Ad

Space Babies from Kia

Amy Poehler for Best Buy

Tide’s Joe Montana Stain

And we’ll even admit that GoDaddy did a good job with their .CO “your big idea” commercial. We’ll share it with you as long as come to name.com to get that idea online. To be honest, it was a little bit weird for us to see them do something so…so not bad. We thrive on their bad ideas, so it was with a great amount of disgusted relief when we saw their #TheKiss ad featuring supermodel Bar Rafaeli, and ubiquitous geeky movie extra, Jesse Heiman. A nerd getting a kiss is a victory for all of us in the web industry, but to have it as wet and close as that one…well, we had to do a parody.

super bowl commercials

We got the whole company involved in a brain storm, and from an initial idea, @OwenBorseth, our VP of Awesome, said that the kissing “sounded like someone eating a cantaloupe.” And then Nick Salvadore, who was at home with his awesome wife, son and their new baby girl, chimed in to say the cantaloupe was the best idea.

So we went with that. And the Twitter went nuts.

godaddy kiss response

Oh, and this…

godaddy superbowl commercial

We heard from many, many more people who were happy to have an outlet about a Superbowl commercial gone awry. The shot didn’t need to be that close. It didn’t need all the sucking sounds. With a heaping amount of thanks to Stephen Donatelli and Patrick “P-Mo” Moroney  (@brandnamebob on Twitter) for being our “kissers,” we mobilized the entire office to take part in our parody of #TheKiss commercial.

So that happened and for about zero dollars. Although we did splurge on a 4-dollar melon at Whole foods.

Comments
Posted at 2:21 pm February 4, 2013
Shofik Cit

It was the ultimate Superbowl Sunday. The game was good (except for that awful missed call in the end zone) and we can.we are like this side and very empress it.

Posted at 4:30 pm February 4, 2013
Christina Blust

I wanted to thank you for making me laugh! Seeing the GoDaddy commercial yesterday reminded me I’ve been meaning to talk to my company about switching our domains away from them. I run a network of sites for a congregation of nuns (spsmw.org), and they have a corporate responsibility policy that GoDaddy doesn’t always align with. At any rate, stumbling upon this lovely parody in my researching today cheered me up a bit. High five. 🙂

Posted at 12:14 am February 5, 2013
jaredatname

I’m not sure what that means but it sounds positive. Thank you.

Posted at 12:22 am February 5, 2013
jaredatname

And a high five to you, Christina! Thank you for the encouraging words. Doing anything for the Sisters of Providence adds an element of pressure, but we look to our customers to keep us clean and classy. OK, we at least TRY to be classy. I only add that disclaimer so it never appears we’re lying to someone who works for nuns.

Posted at 12:03 am February 10, 2013
Scott Tesar

I have been getting increasingly disgusted with GoDaddy’s sophomoric advertising shtick for many years, and Bob “Elephant Man” Parsons’ antics just never quite set right with me, but I figured they were the only game in town…
After a five-month stint in your beautiful city, Name.com came across my radar scopes, and I’ve been slowly transferring a handful of domain names as they’ve come up for renewal (as I could, depending on how GoDaddy’s archaic “DomainsByProxy” interface would allow me to – that’s a WHOLE ‘nother post for another time)

The FIRST time that they ran “TheKiss” commercial during the Super Bowl, I went, “Here we go again…” more stupid, sophomoric antics – you’d figure the new ownership consortium would raise their standards above “Elepant Man’s” , but no….then when they showed it a SECOND time, and amped up the slurpage sound-effects, I went – “That’s it, I’m outta here….I can’t send any more money to support this garbage…..it’s time to starve the beast in some small way….”

So THANK YOU GoDaddy, com – for me, it truly was “TheKiss” of DEATH for you……and a new chapter with Name.com for me….

Posted at 3:47 pm February 10, 2013
jaredatname

Scott, Thanks for taking the time to share that well-written message. We greatly appreciate you coming over to name.com, and look forward to more feedback in the future.