Maybe, just maybe, you’re creeped out by Jean-Claude Van Damme. And maybe you’re not so quick to forgive gross Super Bowl commercials and elephant deaths. Maybe you want to transfer your domain to name.com. If that’s the case, here’s a step-by-step guide.
*Transferring a domain is pretty simple, but there’s a lot of back-and-forth between your GoDaddy account, your name.com account, and your email account. It’s a lot easier to explain in a video than in a screenshot tutorial, so you might want to watch our video tutorial first.
**Read this post for information on how to transfer your domain without disrupting your website or email service.
1. Unlock the domain in your GoDaddy account
- Log in to GoDaddy, navigate to the domains menu, and then click “launch” for the domain you intend to transfer. If you’ve enabled privacy protection for the domain, you’ll need to turn it off before proceeding.
- After clicking “Launch,” you’ll be taken to a menu where you can manage settings for that specific domain. Click the “Manage” link in the “Lock” section, and a dialogue box will open.
- Switch the lock setting to “Off,” and then click “Save.”
2. Get an authorization code
- After unlocking the domain you’ll return to the domain settings page. Scroll to the bottom, click the “Authorization code” link, and then click “Send” to have an authorization code sent to the email address associated with the domain.
- You should receive an email containing the authorization code within a few minutes.
3. Use the name.com domain transfer page to order your transfer
- Fill in the appropriate fields for the domain name and the authorization code (which you just received via email), and then click the “Add to Cart” button.
- You can then click the “Checkout & Complete Transfer” button to proceed to checkout.
- Review your order (one year of registration is included in the $8.25 transfer price), and then proceed to the billing page.
- All that’s left is to agree to the terms of service (it’ll pop up over the billing page), and then this step is complete.
4. Approve the domain transfer at name.com
- Shortly after completing your order at name.com, we’ll send an email that includes a link to your name.com account. Click that link to go to a page where you can approve the domain transfer.
5. Confirm the domain transfer at GoDaddy.com
- Once you’ve approved the transfer, you’ll receive an email from GoDaddy (it may take a few hours). It’ll include a link to your GoDaddy account, where you can confirm the transfer.
- Clicking that link will take you to the transfers page in your GoDaddy account. Click on your pending transfers, follow the “Accept of decline transfer now” link, and accept the transfer.
6. Celebrate! Your domain is now safe and sound in your name.com account.
- The domain should now be listed in the “Your Domain Transfers” page in your name.com account. The transfer will be completed shortly.