Backorders Explained

*As of October 2016, backorders can only be placed on domains that have a set drop date.

We recently announced some updates and improvements to our search page, and one of those was the addition of backorders to the search results. We thought it might be helpful to clarify how this works, in case you’re not familiar with our backorder service.

Now when you search for a domain and that domain is already registered by someone else, you will see an option to backorder that domain regardless of when it expires. The idea is that if it ever expires and becomes available to register, be it two weeks or two years from now, you will already have it backordered and you will have a good chance at getting that name. You can always try to manually register a domain once it becomes available, but using our backorder service greatly increases your chances. The best part is if you end up not getting the name, or you decide that you don’t want to wait that long (understandable), not to worry — you will receive a full refund for your order. Not a bad deal, eh?

In some instances, you may want to consider who the current registrant is and the likelihood of the domain name becoming available. If you take, for example, lesley.com, and look at the Whois data you’ll see that Lesley University is the current registrant. Now if I had to guess, I’d bet that these guys are not going to let their domain name expire and drop … much to my dismay. So realistically it might not be the best use of my money to backorder this domain. But then again, you never know! Stranger things have happened, and since it’s no risk, what have you got to lose?

We hope this helps avoid any confusion if you see this backorder option on your next domain search. As always, we welcome your feedback and questions.

Comments
Posted at 10:32 pm September 2, 2010
sleepy

Lets say , i have backordered one domain , do you charge the fee immediately And wait till the domain is successfully backordered.i mean will my money stored at you till the domain backordered?

How this stuff works ?

Posted at 7:52 pm September 3, 2010

Hi sleepy,

When you backorder a domain you are charged right away, then if you decide to cancel or you don't get the name you get a full refund.

Posted at 8:18 am October 5, 2010
Admin

I am trying to get hold of my domain name that was registered with Name.com by m friend. It expired in March. I emailed Name.com many times, but no reply. Now, when I checked whoIs, it says that the Domain is renewed by Name.com. I really want that domain. So, if I backorder now, will Name.com give the domain control right away?

Posted at 10:50 am November 4, 2011
Anonymous

Dear Name.com. If I place a backorder on a domain currently regsitred by name.com is there bigger chance of getting it? I mean is it wise to use your backorder service for names registred by your company? kind regards, Robert

Posted at 4:28 pm November 4, 2011
Anonymous

Hey Robert, thanks for getting in touch! Typically you will not have a greater chance of getting it if it’s registered at Name.com however you might want to keep tabs on the name using our expiring tool: http://manage.name.com/expired_domains.php

hello name.com

my domain expired on 10/27/2011

how long need to become publicly available for registration again without backorder registration.

Posted at 3:59 pm December 21, 2011
Anonymous

Thursday January 12th your domain will be available for registration again w/ out needing a backorder 🙂

great, thank you

great, thank you

Posted at 10:00 pm October 24, 2012
Billy

if the expired date is 20 Jan 2013
and I use backorder.

will name.com get that domain by 20 Jan 2013 ?
or name.com will wait till the domain be available for public, and register it under my name?

please reply me asap, thx

Posted at 5:57 am October 25, 2012
Narendra Kumar Pankaj

A domain has expired already on 12 Oct. When it’ll be available. OR should I backorder that?

Posted at 8:33 am October 25, 2012

Hey Billy, our backorder service will send commands to register the name for you immediately as the domain drops (expires) on Jan 20, 2013. Technically this is when the domain becomes publicly available but our ninja technology will go for it immediately as it’s expiring. Does that make sense?

Posted at 8:39 am October 25, 2012

Hi there Narendra, if you’re really looking to secure this domain name a backorder would be a good idea. If the domain name is a gTLD (generic top level domain like com/net/org for example) it has a grace period where after it’s expired the registrant is still given the opportunity to renew. If it’s not renewed by the current registrant the domain will drop around 12/28/2012.

Posted at 8:02 am July 8, 2013
Starcraft 2 Strategy

im looking for http://heartoftheswarmguide.net/ to expire how much time should i wait before making the backorder?

Posted at 10:45 am July 8, 2013
akehr

Unfortunately, it looks like the name expires in 7 years… February 02, 2020.

Posted at 2:15 am September 10, 2013
CandleFOREX

I think name.com should come up with a domain drop date estimator as this will be usefull tool for domainers.

Posted at 7:04 am September 13, 2013
Krako

When will be domain .tel (exp. Aug 23) available and I should backorder it?

Posted at 2:55 pm May 9, 2014
Abdullah

Hi there, I want to backorder a domain which is in now “REDEMPTIONPERIOD” with an expiration date of “28-Feb-2014”. When would this domain become available for registering? And would backordering be a good choice for me to get this domain?

Posted at 3:01 pm May 9, 2014
akehr

Hey Abdullah, this domain would become available next Friday. If you want it, it would be a good idea to backorder it, but it isn’t guaranteed that you’ll be the person who gets the name. If we aren’t able to get the name for you, you receive a refund.

Posted at 8:05 am June 19, 2014
Guest

Hi,
I am looking to backorder a domain that expired on 17 April 2014, and is currently on Redemption Period. When will it reach Deletion Period?

Also the domain’s registrar is Name.com. If I backorder through you guys would it guarantee me getting the domain? And can more than one person backorder the same domain from Name.com? Also does the domain go on auction if name.com nabs it?