Getting on our SOPA Box (and saving you money)

So it’s a little freaky to stand on a SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) box and proclaim one thing or another. However, there are two things we know:

1) No one likes piracy, but even more so

2) People love their FREEDOM!

Oh, and there’s a third thing:

3) How to Transfer from GoDaddy.

Now through the end of the year use the promo code, “NODADDY” for 10% off transfer ins (COM, NET, ORG, TV, INFO, IN, US, CO, ME & TEL) and also receive 40% off any of our hosting plans!

That’s what we know. You may think we don’t know counting, but we do. We know we can count on you to make the right decision. OK, that was cheesy. We also know BS and call it when we see it.

Name.com’s official stance: Name.com believes that at the heart of the internet as we know it lie two distinct values: freedom of expression and the ability to quickly and easily transfer ideas and information to a broad and diverse collection of individuals. Although these ideas and information do deserve protection, SOPA’s broad and sweeping reforms threaten the two fundamental pillars on which the internet thrives. Name.com opposes SOPA and calls on Congress to search for a new way to protect intellectual property rights, while maintaining the freedom from which we all enjoy and benefit.

Confused on what SOPA is? Check out more here.

Comments
Posted at 9:33 pm December 22, 2011

Posted at 9:41 pm December 22, 2011
Matt Danna

I jumped off the @GoDaddy train a long time ago in favor of your no-BS approach. Keep it up! 😉 <3

Posted at 10:05 pm December 22, 2011

And a heart. Thank you.

Posted at 10:06 pm December 22, 2011
Anonymous

Tilde exclamation and awesome.

Posted at 10:56 pm December 22, 2011
Aboelfatah Mohamed

goooooooooooooooooood

Posted at 1:42 am December 23, 2011
Brinstar

I transfered away from GoDaddy because of their awful sexist advertising. Glad you are on the right side of this issue.

Posted at 3:29 am December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Thank you for realizing the problems with SOPA. I’ve started transferring all of my domains to you. Thank you for being awesome!

Posted at 7:51 am December 23, 2011
Juanny Cinco

What are the problems? Care to share your analysis and thoughts on the actual problems and what needs to be corrected?

Posted at 9:18 am December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Will the transfer from godaddy cause any downtime to my site?

Posted at 10:08 am December 23, 2011
Pretush

i bought my first domain from name.com and till now i have good experience. Nice step against SOPA.

Posted at 10:09 am December 23, 2011
sales

That is awesome Name is opposing SOPA and going against GoDaddy! Hope you prosper in business!!!!!!!

Posted at 10:11 am December 23, 2011
Anonymous

How about the fact that YouTube, Digg, Reddit, Twitter, etc would all be shutdown?

Posted at 12:04 pm December 23, 2011
Reggaeton Beats

i will be transfereing my 3 domains this week im done with GODADDY. GODADDY supports SOPA drop them now!

Posted at 12:05 pm December 23, 2011
Reggaeton Beats

you must really like having your freedoms stripped for “security” wake up man a problem is presented and the government wants to step in why not just make a commitment to not watch pirated movies! only you can make difference stop waiting for the government to do something.

Posted at 12:20 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

will this coupon work for users from godaddy alone or other registrars as well ?

Posted at 2:23 pm December 23, 2011
Offie Bottle Shop

You guys are mentioned here http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nmnie/godaddy_supports_sopa_im_transferring_51_domains/
Nice job fellow Coloradoan’s and craft beer drinkers.

Posted at 2:42 pm December 23, 2011
dannypryor

I transferred my GoDaddy stuff to you about a year ago! As for SOPA, keep following updates on that with Howard Neu’s blog at NeusNews.com. Frankly, this overzealous legal response to a few really bad apples has upset the entire “online cart”, as it were. Anyway, happy holidays from dtp and Rodan! 🙂

Posted at 2:56 pm December 23, 2011
Dumitru Br’eenzan

I am so glad that I switched to you guys about two years ago… Keep up the good job!

Posted at 3:21 pm December 23, 2011
Aaron Bailey

Just dropped 31 domains from GoDaddy and transferred another 24 to Name.com. Thanks for providing a great service! (From a fellow Denverite.)

Posted at 3:37 pm December 23, 2011
The Doctor

You’re anti-SOPA? Thanks. You’re an option now. Please stand by your principles and you might just get a whole lot more business soon.

Posted at 3:49 pm December 23, 2011

Thanks Doc.

Posted at 3:50 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Looking for the “love” button. And with 25 or more domains you can be in our Investor’s Club. Just email savemoney@name.com

Posted at 3:50 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

We’ll check that out.Thank you.

Posted at 3:51 pm December 23, 2011

Cheeers!

Posted at 3:51 pm December 23, 2011

From wherever you roam…

Posted at 3:53 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Thank you. Throw on some Shabba Ranks and lets party.

Posted at 3:53 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

We plan to…with your help. Thank you!

Posted at 3:53 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

We plan to…with your help. Thank you!

Posted at 3:53 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Thanks for being here. Let us know how we’re doing.

Posted at 3:53 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

Thanks for being here. Let us know how we’re doing.

Posted at 3:54 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

There shouldn’t be. If you have other questions or concerns, you can email our support@name.com

Posted at 3:54 pm December 23, 2011

Posted at 3:57 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

It’s a valid question. I think much of it comes down to using “piracy” as less of a rallying point for a safer internet, and more of a tool to manipulate people into turning over a little bit of Freedom. Ok, that might sound a little Orwellian or extreme, but there’s got to be a better alternative to what has been posed in SOPA. As Google, Apple and others have said, it seems to greatly suppress innovation.

Posted at 6:45 pm December 23, 2011
Austin Milner

Excellent, I’m glad all my domain names are already hosted with name.com. Never had any issues with you guys throughout the years. Good work! Highly recommended

Posted at 6:59 pm December 23, 2011
Anonymous

I’ll be on this after Xmas 2011. I’ve been wanting to leave GD and this is perfect! TY name.com

Posted at 9:56 pm December 23, 2011
Can Sinan ARTU’c7

SOPA means “bat” in Turkish. SOPAlamak is a verb which means kick someone by bat. So: “SOPAya destek verenleri SOPAlayaluc0u305 m” (which means that someone who supports SOPA, let’s kick him/her/them off by bat).

Posted at 11:55 pm December 23, 2011
Michael Taggart

If anyone here has a ton of domains to transfer. I posted a video that shows you a quick tip on how to get all your auth codes in bulk:

Posted at 8:40 am December 24, 2011
Goldman60

My new registrar! 😀

Posted at 1:00 pm December 24, 2011
Anonymous

just read on techcrunch-godaddy doesn’t support sopa anymore

Posted at 7:25 pm December 24, 2011
MaxGoodman

Thank you for this informative post. I just transfered one of my domains to name and the whole process was really smooth. It took a little over an hour, and the transfer kept my nameserver settings.

Posted at 5:18 pm December 25, 2011
maria
Posted at 5:19 pm December 25, 2011
maria
Posted at 8:49 am December 28, 2011
xrvel

I just moved 2 of my domains out from GoDaddy.. Will move more later.

Posted at 3:22 pm December 28, 2011
Anonymous

You’re kidding, GoDaddy is no longer supporting SOPA as it used to, GoDaddy still has the best coupons around, I can transfer/renew or register at $4.95. You never had cool coupons, a great website makeover though 😉

Posted at 4:51 pm December 28, 2011
Owen Borseth

The ol’ “I supported it before I was against it” argument. Kind of like stabbing a man and then saying you’re sorry as he bleeds to death.

Posted at 5:12 pm December 28, 2011
Anonymous

People make mistakes, I believe you too make mistakes, we aren’t angels. Saying sorry is an eraser to what’s been said, and accepting apologies isn’t a taboo, otherwise, lets’ cancel “sorry” from the dictionary. I just don’t know what is it that situation that people can accept apologies, what are those standards that I don’t know that make people judge when to or to not accept apologies?
And it’s not like killing a man coz when the man is dead you can’t do anything about it, the stabber should get the penalty. In case of the SOPA issue, the internet hasn’t been stabbed yet, and GoDaddy realized applying the SOPA will be a stab rather than a +ve change (besides ofcourse maintaining it’s own interest)
Thanks for your reply man, it made me say stuff I should’ve said since the Elephant act 😀

Posted at 12:27 pm December 29, 2011
alessio alex

You’re kidding right? GoDaddy just switched sides now because of money. Anyway it’s too late now, they AUTHORED sopa. Sorry ain’t cutting it mate. Hope they pay the price.

Posted at 12:57 pm December 29, 2011
Anonymous

No I’m serious, I think people can accept an apologize as long as no harm has yet been done, I believe boycotting GD should have been done if the SOPA really did go live. It’s not like I’m saying we should wait and see until the internet gets stabbed, what I’m trying to clarify is that we are in this period when people are talking about SOPA to each other and there are 2 teams, the “with team” and the “against team”, during this time of talking there is that possibility that someone from either team will be talked into joining the other…GD has been talked into joining our “against SOPA” team. YES GD has been talked into it when it realized it will loose money, but so what, everyone has his unlock method, GD happens to be convinced with anything that effects their pockets negatively…and after all, it’s all about the money, the SOPA is about the money and so is the anti-SOPA movement, the matter is that the “freedom of speech” people (who have no personal financial interest) happened to be with the anti-SOPA side.
After all, please do remember that I am against SOPA, I’m just against people looking after their own interest at the expense of others.

Posted at 2:48 am December 30, 2011
DiscontinuedFoods

love your domain search engine, but not a fan of your kerning as it leads to mistakes – also the fact that you don’t allow refunds on domains when godaddy does is lame. I’m going to stick with both for now… especially since this is a slimy sales tactic to use just for a money grab – and because godaddy doesn’t even support SOPA.

Posted at 5:29 pm February 14, 2012
Anonymous

Did anyone else notice that prices were raised @ name.com since moving over in light of the SOPA stance? $9.99 -> $10.99.. and FREEWHOIS no longer works.

Some shady piggybacking on SOPA for profit…

Posted at 5:46 pm February 14, 2012
Anonymous

Hey Zack, thanks for stopping by with your feedback. On January 15th, VeriSign, the registry for COM/NET domains announced they were increasing prices so therefore we had to increase prices too. It’s a bummer for sure but we did send several emails to our customers giving them early warning and suggesting they renew while they can (we ran some super sweet renewal promos too!) If you check our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/namedotcom) you can click on our ‘monthly promotions’ tab to stay up to date on our specials. We just released the promo code, ‘FeelTheLove’ for $9.99 com/net registrations & renewals, $29.99 .TV renewals, and 50% off any of our hosting plans! Pretty sweet!

Also, ‘FREEWHOIS’ expired so we added a new code called, ‘PRIVACYPLEASE’ it won’t last forever but you can certainly use it for now.
Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Posted at 11:55 pm March 19, 2012
myratur

Thank you for sharing the post. I have just transfered one of my domains with Godaddy and it was really smooth. It took
an hour, and the transfer kept my nameserver settings.

Posted at 6:16 am June 6, 2012
vent cleaning atlanta

Appreciating the commitment you put into your website and detailed information you provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Posted at 9:23 am June 6, 2012
Jared

Thank you! With this support we’ll def keep it up.