Finding the right domain name is the first and often most important decision you can make in setting up a website. Picking a good name can be overwhelming, but there are some good guidelines to consider.
- Shorter names are usually better since they are easier for people to remember and type.
- Ideally, the name will say what your company does. For example, Name.com sells domain names.
- You should always be careful about trademark infringement.
- Choose something that is easy to say, so people can find you if you give your URL to them over the phone or in person.
- In general, words with only one correct spelling are usually better so people don’t go to the wrong version.
A lot of great names for older TLDs, like .COM and .NET, are taken. However, there are a hundreds of New TLDs now available, so it’s easier than ever to get a great name that fits the criteria. A .ATTORNEY domain will tell your visitors what you do and a .ROCKS domain injects a healthy dose of personality into your website. To register your new domain name and get started:
- Go to Name.com and type in a name you are interested.
- Click Search to display results for your keyword.
- Click the name you want and add it to your cart.
- Click the Shopping Cart icon in the upper right.
- Follow the instructions to complete the order.