If at some point you decide that you want to change the primary domain for your G Suite, you are free to do so. These changes can be made directly in your G Suite Admin Console by following these steps.
How to change your primary G Suite domain:
- Go to admin.google.com and login using your G Suite email address and password.
- Select the Domains option (located at the bottom of the Admin Console home page).
- Click Add/Remove Domains then select Add a Domain or a Domain Alias on the following page.
- Choose the Add another domain option, then enter the NEW domain name you wish to use. Once you're done, click Continue and Verify Domain Ownership.
- The next step is to verify ownership of the domain. Choose Name.com in the list of domain name providers then select Verify.
A new window will open asking permission for Google to verify your domain ownership with Name.com. Select I Accept to continue, then wait a moment for the domain to be verified.
- Once verification process is complete you will see a confirmation page. Click Continue and you'll be redirected back to your Admin Console.
- Select the More Controls option (located at the bottom of the Admin Console home page) then click Add/Remove Domains.
- Click the Make Primary option, which is located directly to right of your new domain name.
- Select Change Primary Domain. Your browser should then refresh and the new domain will be set as your primary domain.
- Now, assign a user for the new primary domain. Select the menu option on the top right side of your Admin Console and click Users.
- Click on your Username
- Select the Account option, where you will see a drop down section appear
- Click the blue Edit link below the Basic Information section
- An Update User window will appear
- Select the NEW primary domain in the list of domain names, then click Update User.
- The final step is to contact Name.com customer support so we can update the new domain name within our system. You will also need to add G Suite MX records to your domain. For instructions on how to add G Suite MX records please click here.
*Google support also offers a helpful article you can reference by following this link.