Filing a DMCA complaint
Last Updated: December 04, 2023
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law that heightens the penalties for copyright infringement on the internet. When someone steals your original content, the best recourse is to file a DMCA Takedown Notification.
If a website owner refuses to remove your copyrighted content after you ask them to, you'll need to provide the domain's hosting provider with an official DMCA Takedown Notification.
Identifying the correct web host
You can find out who the domain’s web host provider is by performing a Whois query on the domain and the IP address it is resolving to. Please note that the registrar is not always the hosting provider, so also check the domain's nameservers and IP address to make sure you are contacting the right host.
If the IP Address is pointing to Name.com servers feel free to notify us by filing a properly formatted DMCA Complaint to email@example.com or using the form here: https://www.name.com/ru-ru/abuse
Writing a DMCA complaint
The letter below serves as a template for your DMCA complaint. We recommend sending this notification via fax, regular mail, and email.
[Enter Webhosts Address]
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter is a Notice of Infringement as authorized in § 512(c) of the U.S. Copyright Law under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I wish to report an instance of Copyright Infringement. The infringing material appears on the Service for which you are the designated agent.
- The copyrighted material, which I contend belongs to me and appears illegally on the Service, is the following:
<Include the location (URL) of your Copyrighted materials>
- The unauthorized material appears at the website address:
<Include the location (URL) of the infringing content>
- My contact information is as follows:
- I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials as described above is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.