Is an Affiliate a Publisher or Advertiser?
For some, this is confusing. It’s like arriving at the airport and being confused if you’re the ‘arrival’ or ‘departure’? You’re the departure if you are going to the airport for travel, but because you are technically “arriving” at the airport – you feel like an “arrival”. How about when you’re at an Affiliate event of sorts and asked if you’re an “Advertiser” or “Publisher”? There’s a pretty big distinction and the wrong answer could steer the conversation in the wrong way – just like the wrong section of the airport. An Affiliate may place ads on their website feeling like an Advertiser. But in reality an Affiliate is a Publisher. Let us help you define the two in a text-book kind of way while also helping you never, ever forget the difference between the two again!
Simply this is the person with something to sell. They are the ones who are asking for Affiliates to promote their products. The Advertiser is the Merchant. The ones with an Affiliate Program for you to promote. The one who will pay you for sending sales their way. This is Name.com!
In most cases, this is you! The Affiliate. The one representing the Advertiser with their blog, website, or newsletter. The Publisher will choose a method to promote the Advertiser and send referrals to the Advertiser. The Publisher is the one getting paid.
NEVER FORGET THE DIFFERENCE AGAIN WITH ONE OF THESE 5 TRICKS
Still think you will be confused on who’s who? Try these little tricks to never answer the “Who are you” question wrong again…
- It’s “ABC order”. The Advertiser has to come before you the Publisher (Affiliate) or else you wouldn’t have anything to promote. A before P!
- Are you money motivated? Just remember – the Publisher/Affiliate gets paid! Publisher for Payment.
- They say it takes 21 times to make something a habit. With that logic then for the next 21 days refer to yourself as a Publisher rather than Affiliate. Problem solved!
- Do you learn by doing? Well if you’re a blogger/affiliate and just wrote a fresh new review of a cool product – what do you click next to display that post on the Interwebs? Well, you click “Publish”. Ta-Da – you are a Publisher.
- Try removing the word “Advertiser” from your vocabulary. This may be cheating, but how can you answer for something you don’t know what they are?