Subdomains explained: What are they, and how do you add them to your website?
When it comes to website management, there are several approaches you can take to make your website more user-friendly and organized. One approach is to add a subdomain to your existing domain.
When it comes to website management, there are several approaches you can take to make your website more user-friendly and organized. One approach is to add a subdomain to your existing domain. In this blog post, we’ll explain what a subdomain is, how to add it to your domain, and the benefits of adding a subdomain to your website.
What is a subdomain?
A subdomain is a domain that is part of a larger domain. For example, if your website’s domain is hotpinkcupcakes.com, a subdomain could be blog.hotpinkcupcakes.com. The subdomain appears before the domain name and can be used to create a separate section of your website.
How to add a subdomain in your Name.com domain management
Adding a subdomain to your domain is a short process that involves only a few steps. Here’s a quick guide to adding a subdomain:
- Log in to your domain registrar’s account
- Navigate to the DNS management section
- Create a new DNS record for the subdomain
- Configure the DNS record to point to your web hosting provider
- Add the subdomain to your web hosting account
Once these steps are complete you will have successfully added a subdomain to your website. Congratulations! Now it’s time to reap the benefits of your hard work. Benefits of adding a subdomain include:
- Improved website organization: A subdomain can help organize your website and make it easier for users to navigate. For example, if you have a blog on your site, you could create a subdomain for the blog and separate it from the main website.
- Better search engine optimization: A subdomain can also help with search engine optimization (SEO). By creating a separate subdomain, you can focus on optimizing the content for specific keywords and phrases, which can improve your website’s search engine rankings.
- Enhanced security: A subdomain can also improve the security of your website. If you have a separate subdomain for a particular section of your site, you can apply additional security measures to that subdomain, such as implementing SSL certificates.
- Improved user experience: By separating different sections of your website into subdomains, you can make it easier for users to find the information they are looking for.
There are plenty of advantages to adding a subdomain – especially as a business owner, solopreneur or basically anyone running a website. At Name.com, we have a quick and easy, single-step solution to adding your subdomains onto your Wix websites.
Adding a subdomain to Wix plans
- Click into your Wix management page at Name.com
- Scroll to your “REGISTRATION” box
- Click “Manage domain” drop down button
- Add up to 6 sub domains
Reminder – if DNS management is needed, visit your Domain Management page at Name.com to edit your records.
Adding a subdomain to your existing domain is a simple process that can benefit your website in many ways. From improved website organization, to better SEO and enhanced security, a subdomain can help you take your website to the next level.