A records are one of the most commonly used records for pointing a domain name to a host. An A record resolves a domain name to an IP(v4) address and is only used for websites (not email). The IP address for your website/host is provided by whoever hosts or manages your website, and content. Name.com has no way to know your IP address unless you're hosted with us (Hosting, Website Builder, Prologue, Wordpress Hosting).
An example of a set of A records pointing to the IP address 192.168.108.69:
Note: If you wish to setup a DNS record with Name.com, it's important to note you need to use our nameservers - so name.com manage and host your DNS. Domains registered with Name.com use our nameservers by default but in order to point your domain to our nameservers, or verify they are correctly pointed, please see our guide for default name servers.
Once you are using name servers, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Name.com account.
- Click on the MY DOMAINS button, located on the top right hand corner.
- Click on the domain name you wish to create an A record for.
- Click DNS Records, on the left.
- Here you will add the desired A record, provided by your host.Typically you would create 2 records - a naked record and for subdomains (including www):
First A record:
- Leave the drop-down menu Type as A
- Leave the Host field blank
- Enter or copy+paste the IP address into the Answer field.
- Leave TTL as 300 (default)
- Click the blue Add Record button.
Second A record:
- Follow the same steps as in the first record, but in the Host field add a * symbol.
Once the records are created, the domain should be working within 24 hours.