Two-step verification offers an additional security layer on top of your username-password combination. Google Authenticator and AUthy are bound to the devices they were setup on and in the event that something would happen to your device we have added a backup process to get you access using text messaging (SMS). Below are the steps on how to use your phone to receive backup texts:
Note: This process is dependant upon you having a device already setup. If you have not setup Google Authenticator, please see this guide
- Log in to your Name.com account.
- Click on the ACCOUNT tab, located at the top, select PROFILE and then select ACCOUNT SETTINGS.
- Click Two-Step Verification located in the left column, under Security.
- On the Two-Step Verification page, a notification will appear as illustrated below:
- Click the Add Backup Phone button.
- A pop-up will appear and ask for your number. Select your country by clicking the flag, and enter your number (as you would dial it within your country), and click Next, confirm code.
- A 6- digit code will be sent to your phone. Enter this 6-digit code in the field, and click Next, Complete setup.
Note: the code is sent within seconds and if you do not receive it, click Resend code.
- If successfully entered, you will see the message below and you are all set. Click Back to My account to return.
Note: Also feel free to generate and use backup codes as an added layer of fail-safe, using this guide.